Apply For Paradigm Initiative Digital Rights and Inclusion 2020
The Paradigm Initiative Digital Rights and Inclusion 2020 grant aims to involve media professionals in the daily work of the Paradigm Initiative in the fields of digital rights and digital inclusion in Africa.
From April 2020, the selected fellows will work in our offices in Nigeria (Lagos Aba, Abuja and Kano), Cameroon (Yaoundé), Zambia (Lusaka), the Democratic Republic of Congo or even Ghana (Accra). Applications are open to journalists working for media in Africa.
This scholarship aims to expose media professionals to the fields of digital rights and digital inclusion which are generally underestimated in the development of African countries. The objective is to increase the number of journalistic reports or publications on these fields in Africa.
Selected media professionals must be available for a two (2) week trip to Nigeria and virtual collaboration between April 2020 and August 2020.
The Paradigm Initiative Digital Rights and Inclusion 2020 grant is a 5-month program designed to immerse journalists in mid-career in advocacy – and intervention – efforts in favor of digital rights and digital inclusion in Africa.
The selected journalists will work with the Paradigm Initiative on various projects and help improve public understanding of digital rights and inclusion issues in Africa.
The components of the scholarship
- Fully funded trip to attend the Africa Digital Rights and Inclusion Forum (DRIF) in Abuja, Nigeria in April 2020.
- Training on digital rights and inclusion at the Paradigm Initiative headquarters in Lagos (Nigeria) with team members from other offices in Africa.
- Fully funded 2-week residency program to visit Paradigm Initiative offices in Nigeria (Abuja, Lagos, Kano, Aba).
- 4 month virtual training and collaboration with Paradigm Initiative and its partners.
- The scholarship can also include fully funded local and international trips to attend and cover relevant digital rights and inclusion events.
- Interaction with the main stakeholders in the defense of digital rights.
- Paradigm Initiative will provide fellows with a monthly stipend and a one-time research grant for the duration of the fellowship.
- Fellows are expected to participate in all planned activities
- Fellows will have to publish, in their affiliated media (print, television, radio, Internet) at least 15 elements (Feature articles, Reports, etc.) on digital rights and inclusion issues during the duration of the scholarship. Fellows will retain full editorial direction for these reports.
- Fellows should continue to cover digital rights and inclusion issues after their internship.
- The scholarship is open to journalists affiliated with the main print and online newspapers in Africa
- Interested candidates must demonstrate that they have already covered human rights and / or technology issues and are interested in advocacy journalism.
- Interested candidates must have less than ten years of journalism experience. We are mainly interested in journalists at the start of their careers
Deadline: February 15, 2020