STEM Scholarships for Female Students in Africa, 2018
The Mwalimu Nyerere African Union Scholarship Scheme was launched in 2007 with the aim of contributing to the production and retention of high caliber African human capital for sustainable development of the continent in critical development areas, while promoting regional integration through intra-Africa mobility of students.
The African Union Commission is offering a Call for Scholarship Applications (For Female Applicants Only) for Masters and PhD Programmes in Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM). The Scholarship Scheme is intended to enable young Africans to study in reputable African Universities with a binding agreement that beneficiaries will work in any African country for at least the same duration of scholarship period after graduation.
- Application Deadline: April 30, 2018
- Course Level: Scholarships are available for pursuing Masters and PhD Programme.
Study Subject: Scholarships are awarded in Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM).
- Scholarship Award: The scholarship award covers the following:
Tuition Fees: According to an official invoice from the Host University.
Stipend: 500 US$ monthly, to support living expenses such as housing, food, utilities, local transportation and medication.
Book Allowance: An allowance of 500 US$ per year for the purchase of books.
Air ticket: A round-trip economy fare for the most direct route between the beneficiary’s home country and the study destination of host Institute.
Travel Allowance: One-off payment of 250 US$ to contribute towards ground transportation from airport and settling-in costs One-off payment of 350 US$ to assist with shipping and other terminal expenses; upon departure from the host Institution after successful completion of the study.
Computer Allowance: One-off payment of 1,000 US$ for the purchase of laptop computer and accessories.
- Number of Scholarships: Not Known
- Scholarship can be taken in Africa
Eligibility for the Scholarship:
- Eligible Countries: Female citizens of an African Union Member State are eligible to apply.
- Entrance Requirements: To be eligible for the Scholarship, a candidate must:
Be a Female Citizen of an African Union Member State
Be under the age of thirty-five (35) years for Masters Programmes and under forty (40) years for PhD Programmes.
Be a holder of a Bachelor’s Degree in the relevant field, at the level of Upper Second Class Honours for a Masters’ Programme; and a holder of Masters’ Degree in the relevant field for a PhD Programme. The degree must be from a reputable University
Have demonstrated outstanding academic achievement as evidenced by academic transcripts, and academic awards if any.
Have proof of admission to undertake a full-time Masters or PhD programme in a recognized university of an African Union Member State.
Be willing to commit to work in an African Union Member State on completion of studies for at least three (3) years.
- English Language Requirements: Applicants must scan and produce electronic copies of all the above documents (converted to PDF format) and send via email.
The applicants should submit their formal application which should include the following:
- Completed application form
- Recent passport-size photograph
- Summarized CV with names and contacts of two referees.
- Certified copies of academic certificates and transcripts
- Certified copies of Passport or national Identity Card indicating citizenship
- Copy of admission letter from a reputable African University
- Two (2) Reference Letters with contact addresses.
- An essay of not more than 500 words that explains why the candidate has chosen her particular field of study and its importance to Africa’s development
How to Apply:
Applicants must scan and produce electronic copies of all the above documents (converted to PDF format) and send via email.